Tuesday 1 September 2015

Stitch in Time

I have gotten through my life without visits to doctors and hospitals. I am risk averse. You won't catch me climbing trees and I could barely do a forward roll as a child and cycling is a hazardous pursuit even as an adult!! Since moving to France I am of an age where the system prefers prevention rather than cure. You see I am squeamish. I hate needles, I fainted when I had my ears pierced at 13. I have avoided wherever possible any encounter with needles and blood. And in the last few months I have encountered both.

A mole had appeared on my eyebrow a couple of years ago. I am not a vain person, I have many of them and am naturally a freckly person. But this mole was of a different character and living in a country where the summer temperatures are much warmer than the UK it had given me cause for concern. A trip to the Drs a couple of weeks ago with no warning to anyone other than parents and husband meant that it was going to be removed under local anaesthetic. Yes needles, on my face. So 3 of those later and an incision to the brow I left the surgery 10 minutes later with a couple of stitches. Yes a the Dr had stitched up the incision. Eeek, this left me with a very strange and vulnerable feeling indeed.... as at some point those stitches need to come out in 6 days.


Fortunately a very nice friend who is an ex-nurse agreed to remove them for me on Monday 31st August. A bit of Dutch courage was required. I generally avoid alcohol on 'school' nights, the but it was a case of needs must. A couple of glasses later and deep cleansing of the stitched area the stitches came out easily. In order to escape the fear, I definitely had to go through it, there was no going round it.

You will no doubt appreciate the non posting of pics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment